Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mega-Yoga Day!

What a day, yoga-wise!

I started the day at 7:30 with a private dialogue coaching session with Saiko, my mentor. We met at my home studio in Fremont and did about 1.5 hours of dialogue, with heat. She picked out postures, I did them, and then she critiqued me and provided little tips for each one we did. It was very helpful!

At 9:30, I took class - had a nice practice, though mornings are not my favorite time, Jill had walked down and it was fun to take class with her.

Then, at 1:15 I had my 2nd class - another 'mock' class at a studio in Woodinville, a ways away for me (about a half hour, but in a very different area from where I typically hang out). The studio is lovely! I got there, and the owner was there, she said she couldn't take my class :( but would hope to soon. That was ok though, I was ready and excited to teach!

A few minutes later, she said, "So I've heard through the grapevine that you're 'ready'." I thought she meant for the 1:15 class (minutes away at this point) so I said, "Yep, I'm all set to go here in a few." And she then told me her 3:30 teacher called off, and asked if I'd teach it! Sight unseen, just based on feedback from two teachers who'd been to my first class. I was flattered, shocked and excited all at once! So I went on to teach 2 classes, right in a row, the first to folks in the know - a free class for a new teacher - and the second, a group of people who only saw me as "new to the studio." It was super cool!

There was a 16-year old girl in my first one who has Chron's disease, she and her mom come together and she said it helps with the symptoms a lot. The second class I had a girl who brought her 60-something Japanese mom, who is in town visiting - and who (1) did not speak any English and (2) had never done Bikram before! I had to help her with hands in Eagle and the grip in standing bow (just like people who do speak English :)...but she did great. There was also a young guy who was taking his 2nd class - he was great and a wonderful opportunity for corrections - a lot of newbie things like grips, chin position, eye position - easy things to see and fix.

It's getting there - I'm getting more confident and feeling more relaxed when I'm up there teaching! A Bikram teacher whom I had never met was also in the 2nd class I taught - she sent me some good feedback. And it's funny, things I thought I did well she suggested I work on, and the area I thought I was weak, she said was fantastic! So there you have it - we don't perceive ourselves as our students do, and it's important to listen and adjust based on your audience, not your own sense of things, ego or pride. It's all about them - and I just keep reminding myself of that, and with that, know it will all turn out well!

More soon, promise!

4 comments:

SeattleAmy said...

Wahoo! Way to go!!!

bikramyogachick said...

Jenn-
Congrats on the smooth sailing with the teaching. I read your WLS blog (I wanted some inspiration, need to lose 35 lbs and will be starting Jenny Craig this weekend) and was amazed at your transformation. The amount of work, effort, diligence, perserverance...it was inspiring. I know two people who have had surgery (not the lapband) many years ago that have now gained at least half of it back. You seem to really be at peace with the lifetime commitment and you are very inspiring.
Thanks for sharing your experiences on the www.
:)
Michelle from Vegas
p.s- I will get to meet Craig Villani this weekend! He is coming to my studio to do a seminar on Sat from 9 to 5 and I signed up! Yippee!

Carola Rodina Rutkowski said...

jenn!
congrats on the successful classes! thats awesome...
Carola

Steph said...

Hey Jenn

Wow what a full on day of yoga! Sounds like your teaching skills are coming along really well.

Sione has taught a few classes at our studio here in Auckland, NZ and done really well too, she sounded very relaxed and knew her dialogue so well, as did Anna who taught this morning. (I'm not sure if you go to meet Anna at TT or not). Having them teach made me think of you and wonder how you are doing. Sounds like its all going fab. Congrats and keep up the good work!

Stay bendy
Steph
NZ